Tomato - Sean's Yellow Dwarf (Certified Organic)
Solanum lycopersicum. 65 days – Sean’s Yellow Dwarf is a regular leaf dwarf variety that produces oblate medium to medium large fruit that ripen to a medium yellow color. The flavor is well balanced and delicious, and bears prolifically. Open Source Seed Initiative-listed variety.
About the Dwarf Tomato Project: The Dwarf Tomato Project is a collaborative citizen breeding project spearheaded by Craig LeHoullier in the U.S. and Patrina Nuske in Australia to create delicious tomatoes of all flavor and size variations on compact, easy-to-maintain dwarf tomato plants. The “Dwarf” category of tomatoes had been neglected by breeders and limited in variety, but is very promising for both container gardeners and those looking for heirloom flavor on a lower-maintenance plant.
The citizen breeders set out to create a selection of tastes, colors and sizes that would equal heirloom varieties with plants having an advantage of being more compact and therefore more manageable. Volunteers were given the opportunity to name any new novel dwarf tomato type they discovered in appreciation for helping in the project. Resulting seed varieties are listed with the Open Source Seed Initiative to ensure seeds are not patented or restricted in use so that anyone who wishes may plant and share freely with others into the future.
In 2015, we conducted outdoor tomato variety trials and requested a number of Dwarf varieties to include in the trial. Craig generously shared the varieties he felt would do best in our climate. We continue to grow out five of those that performed and tasted the best. For more information on the Dwarf Tomato Project, visit their website at: www.dwarftomatoproject.net
Benefits of dwarf tomatoes:
Sturdy, attractive, productive!
- Plants vary in height from 60-140cm (2 to 4.5 feet) depending on which variety is selected.
- Dark and dense crinkly (rugose) foliage, thick central stem.
- Tomatoes of all sizes and shapes, including some large fruits up to around 500 grams (18 ounces).
- A broad range of flavours – sweet, tangy, fruity, and even a hint of saltiness – something to please everyone.
- Fruit colours include green-when-ripes, bi-colours, stripes, blacks (purple or brown), pink, red, yellow, orange, white/ivory.
Easy to grow in pots, on balconies, or wherever space is limited.